Gulf Coast Sailing Club is the heart of sailing in Southwest Florida, and our members create the heartbeat. We are a volunteer organization and ask that our members contribute how they can on a range of fun and important roles. In addition to the leadership by our Board of Directors
, there are key committees in membership, sailing, landside events (meetings, parties) and communications. Let us know your interest as we will appreciate your help!
Vice Commodore, Bruce Leng
oversees all non-sailing activities to support our Club including the monthly meetings (landside events), membership, Board nominations & mentoring and the Communications group. Typically, the Vice Commodore arranges the presentations for monthly meetings.
The Communications Team
is responsible for all internal and external Club communications and ensuring a consistent delivery of Club information and reports to the Vice Commodore
Membership, Terry Nauck
– The friendly faces of the membership team are official greeters at meetings, maintain the member directory, provide new member programs, and help direct volunteer and crew requests.
Nominations & Mentoring, Maurice Scully
- Works with the Board to build leadership for the club.
Landside Events, Open position
– This team plans the themed monthly meetings and other off the water events by arranging catering, decorating and fun!
The Communications Team is responsible for all internal and external Club communications and ensuring a consistent delivery of Club information.
Public and Media Relations, Vicki Livingston
– plans, writes and places news stories in the media and on local calendars.
Member Communications, Jonnie Westerop
- writes the monthly Luff N’ Laff
newsletter and prepares all direct member email communications.
Facebook Communications, Roseann Smith
- takes charge of the Facebook group and supports all the club announcements.
Meet Up Communications, Maurice Scully
- posts all Club events on Meet Up.
Webmaster, Seaby Bess
– maintains the Club website.
Rear Commodore, Jeff Gage
provides the leadership for all on-the-water activities and actively handles the event organization and execution particularly for racing.
Fleet Captain - Cruising, Rick Reed
- plans the schedule of cruising events including charts, local docking, dining arrangements and other details
Fleet Captain - Racing, Frank Brown
– works with other local sailing organizations to create the racing fleet schedule for the season, provide the NOR and Sailing Instructions, oversee and promote race registration, confirm the Race Committee details, organize Skipper’s meetings and Award events, and oversee the statistics for the races.
Race Committee, Susan Watkins
– trains her committee to properly execute the race instructions and communicate to all the sailors on the water.
Fleet Captain - Small Boats, Vedran Vicevic
– plans and implements the monthly Sugden Sunday
events with the teaching aspect, sailing on small boats on Lake Avalon and picnic activities.
Get involved today by reaching out to the respective Vice Commodores or any of the committee leaders.